Gamuda Scholarship Interview Experience

This blog is about my experience in Gamuda Scholarship interview.

Exactly me, hunting for scholarship.

I started to "hunt" for scholarship after my STPM result was released. In a random opportunity, I discovered the Gamuda Scholarship in the afterschool website, which the offer was attractive and I tempted to have a try. Here is an advice for all the applicants:

"Try to apply as much as you can as it widens up your opportunity to secure a scholarship!" 

Compared to other scholarships, the Gamuda Scholarship application procedure was pretty direct and simple. Basically, I just filled in my personal details and wrote an roughly 150 words length essay to complete it.

About 3 weeks later, there is a new message popped out in my phone's screen. I thought it would be an usual ads or spam message, but it was from Gamuda Berhad! I was shortlisted for the interview, unbelievable! Although I was still at interview stage, however for me, it was the first positive response from all the scholarships that I have applied! Due to the MCO implementation, the interview was carried out through online platform- Cisco Webex and it was totally a new experience for me. 

On that day, I wore a formal attire as being told, having my interview in my most comfortable study area. By clicking into the link, I entered into the meeting room 5 minutes earlier, and in the screen, a young men with an ochre colour ( brownish yellow) shirt appeared and greeted me politely. After the identity confirmation, the interview begun. I would like to write down the interview details in Q&A form.

Q1: Tell me about yourself.
A: (I have been prepared for a week and this question is in my expectation. I introduced in the order of my family background, hobbies, the reason I choose my course and why i applied for Gamuda, the speaking length was about 2 minutes.)

Q2: What grade did you get in your SPM English and latest English proficiency test?
A: For SPM, I got an A-. I have a MUET qualification and I scored band 5 in it. I don't sit for other tests. (He then questioned me why I don't sit for other tests like IELTS and TOEFL. I replied him that I focused in applying local university and a Band 5 in MUET is good enough for my course requirement. He seemed to be satisfied with the reply.)

Q3: Okay I see, this year we have received unprecedented number of applicants, how can you outstand from the crowd?
A: ( Still in my preparation, I interpreted it as "Why I deserve this scholarship?". Taking consideration to the course I applied which was Mechanical Engineering, I tried to convince him that I am an innovative problem solver, by giving the example that I was good in Mathematics Olympiad and my achievement in the competitions. Besides, I did state the way how I cope with the lost of my part time job due to MCO. My strategy was to show that I am quite good at solving problem in real life and academics.)

Q4: I see, which apps are you using for your online tutoring? (I stated I was doing online tutoring in Q3)
A: I used Zoom and Google Meet. These two apps are user-friendly. ( I then elaborated on the apps' specifications that why i choose them. After listening to my answer, he asked whether I know about current issue regarding to Zoom. I replied him the security problem that has raised the attention of the crowd, and pointed out my stand in this issue. Basically, he was testing my sensitivity towards the things going around and the validity of what i said. Good question by an experienced interviewer!) 

Q5: Good, can you elaborate your involvement in your co-curriculum activities?
A: ( I shared my experience in two of my most actively involved clubs during my schooling days. Leadership posts, competition, my vision bla bla bla... Somehow I spoke too long and the interviewer had to stop me, I guessed he was not interested in those stories)

Q6: What did you learn from these activities?
A: ( I spoke about time balancing, saying that my hectic co-curriculum life has affected my academics, thus I tried to rescheduled it. I should have mention about other qualities that are more relevant but my mind doesn't react fast.)

Q7: How many vehicles did you family own?
A: ( The first question that shocked me, I guessed it was the investigation of my fmaily's financial background. He did ask about the estimated value of the cars that my family bought too. Again, he surprised me with the next question.)

Q8: If you are going to sell your car now, at what price you think you are going to sell out?
A:  " I think with the current situation, my car would likely cost about 10K, perhaps? I am not sure about it but usually the car price will drop roughly 2-3k for my car?" (Boom! What was he going to know from this question. Not the nest answer from me because I just bluffed about the price. However after discussing with my friends after the interview, I come out with the idea that he intended to test me regarding of the car's price and the current Covid-19 situation. From news, the car companies were facing a huge loss in sales and the car price dropped drastically. Huh, just too hard for me to relate with it.)

Q9: How much you know about Gamuda Berhad?
A: As far as I concern, Gamuda Berhad involves in construction, infrastructure building and engineering works. Projects such as MRT Klang, SMART and even MRT in Kaoshiung, Taiwan were the achievements by Gamuda Berhad. The career that I am going to do is much related with Gamuda Berhad. ( Well scripted answer from me after I done my research on their official website. The interview process was going smooth until I spoke the last sentence above. If I was given a chance, I wouldn't speak it again!)

Q10: You mentioned that your career will be closely related to Gamuda, how you relate your Mechanical Engineer with Gamuda in the future?
A: As a future mechanical engineer and Gamuda has construction sector background, i see myself to be in charge of evaluating the material used, studying the stability of the building and related stuff. I am not certain about it. (Here is the killer part for my interview process. The answer I gave in fact was not satisfying due to my poor understanding of construction sector. The interviewer knew that my misconception on this topic and questioned me my knowledge about Mechanical Engineering. He said he expect answer of involving in ventilation, air conditioning and piping role for Mechanical Engineer. What I have said was the role of a Civil Engineer and the situation was awkward for me at the moment. One rotten apple spoils the barrel, that the best words to describe my whole interview.)

The moment I realised I messed it, argh!!!
 
After finishing all the questions, he asked me that any question I want to ask before the interview ends. My mood was spoilt because of the last question but I still embrace myself to ask about the Scholar Engagement Development Programme and the amount covered during my study. The interview lasted for a tiring 45 minutes and I put out a huge relief after it. Finally!        

My first interview ended in a unfavorable way for me. However it gave me a great exposure about what an interview like, and lessons to be learnt. The result will be released in few more weeks and I didn't put much hope in it. I hope that my personal experience will give some insights for those who are going to apply Gamuda Scholarship or other relevant scholarship! All the best!

Feel free to leave in the comment section if you have doubt in applying the scholarship or you have the similar experience before!

Comments

  1. Hi max! Did u manage to proceed to the next stage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I just finished the logic test few days ago, waiting for my outcome😁.

      Delete
    2. Oh nice! Have u passed the test aldry? I received an email about the next stage which is group case studies 🤔

      Delete
    3. Yaya, me too. Congrats to u, which time slot will u taking?

      Delete
    4. Hey sorry for the late reply. Congrats to u as well! I took the one in the evening on 30 june. What about u?

      Delete
    5. Same as u, but i apply for the morning session, still don't have any idea about the task haha.

      Delete
    6. Hi i just wanna say that good luck to all of us here. Hopefully we can do our best and see you guys at the awards ceremony (hopefully!)

      Delete
    7. @ooi max , same i dont have idea too haha. Thanks @shahris . I wish us the best of luck too. Btw which slot did u book for?

      Delete
    8. Hey @ooi max , i need your opinion on something, is it okay if i ask u a few questions?

      Delete
    9. Hye guys... Nice blog.. Btw i hope we all get the scholarship award.. Same like @JustATeen i was schedule case study on evening 30 june...

      Delete
  2. Thanks @shahris, good luck to u too. @JustATeen, ya feel free to ask questions regarding to the scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were offered both state government scholarship & gamuda scholarship, which one would u accept? The only difference is the government scholarship doesn't have a bond.

      Delete
    2. Well, I will compare the amount covered and additional support provided. If Gamuda offers me a better coverage for my study, I don't mind to bond to it, and I think 3 years is not a long period of time compared to other scholarship. You should consider the offers based on our case and hopefully my opinion helps u!

      Delete
    3. Oh! Well both are full scholarships.

      The only difference when it comes to Gamuda is 1st bond, 2nd internship, 3rd 'Scholars’ Development Programme'?. Basically, i won't be worrying to search for u know, opportunities for internship & i get to work at a great company for a while after i graduated.

      However, if i were to take the government scholarship (no bond), I'd get to explore more & not being bound to any company. But also, the internship at gamuda is still open to other students n not just their scholars, so i might just apply there again & also other companies.

      Idk, what about u? Im still so confused, i asked my family about it & they r confused too haha. If u were in my shoes what would u do? Would u just let yourself be bound to 1 company (for a while) and have a secure future (temporarily)? Or be daring & seek (maybe greater) opportunities?

      Delete
    4. Oh I understand your situation now. For me, a secured job is only important when it comes to critical time, like now. You mentioned that u are able to search and intend to explore for opportunities, I guess u must be someone who doesn't want to be restricted. So base on your case, state government scholarship turns to be a better choice. But if I am u, I will choose a more concrete and solid choice since I am not someone who is adventurous. Well that's my point of view, any of choice will not considered wrong, as we cant predict future right? Stay cheer and dont worry abour it, follow your heart.

      Delete
  3. It really was nice talking to u. Since you mentioned youre taking mechanical engineering, I'm taking architecture later this year at UCTS. And I'm also from Sabah. What about u Max?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am from Penang and will be studying in UM, UTM or USM (the result is not out yet). You can understand a little more about me from my previous blog. I feel glad to meet u and that's the aim I write blog.

      Delete
  4. Hi max did you make it to the final interview session next week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi shahris, yup I made it into final stage, u too?

      Delete
    2. Yup. Im just quite curious on what kind of questions they would ask. Cuz it's already the final stage right so if we messed up it'll be damn depressing weh hahahah

      Delete
    3. I think it will be more on the course we choose as our interviewers include the industrial experts, hopefully things went smoothly.

      Delete
  5. Hey Max. Just came across your article. Very interesting read. How did your interview go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's pretty good actually, have passed through the final interview and waiting for the outcome.

      Delete
    2. That's amazing. I wonder how it would've been to go through the entire process virtually. Haha. What happened during the final interview and who were the interviewers? I'm a current Gamuda scholar here, by the way.

      Delete
    3. Sorry for late reply. Yup, from stage 1 to stage 4, all are conducted virtually, a totally new experience for me. I think this will be a trend in the future and of course this feature has lots of benefits compared to the physical interview. The final interview was basically a spontaneous reaction test which I don't prepare a lot. Stay tuned to my future series for more details!

      Delete
    4. I was one of the candidates as well and the pitching session was the one the one that got me. Didn't expect that at all but thankfully managed to answer the questions. Anyways, good luck to us.

      Delete
  6. Hi Max, came across your article while doing some research on scholarships. I heard that they are a total of 5 stages which all of them were conducted virtually. Just wondering if you would share the details on what you did during each stage? :) Like were they all just interviews or there has been some sort of workshop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I would summarise the stages like this:
      1. Interview-A introduction to the interview, nothing much to be panic about it, just do yourself!

      2. Logic and personality test- You have to answer the questions in limited time for the logic part whereas the personality one just opt for the choice that fits u the most.

      3. Case studies--Two case studies are given and u will be paired up with 4 or 5 candidates to complete it. Basically they will give u scenarios and expect u to come out with your own solution. Quite interesting for me.

      4. Final interview-The stage which I gone through last month. Being interviewed by a panel of four, it's quite intimidating at first. However, the questions asked does not require any self preparation, they expect you to speak spontaneously. There is no right and wrong and the interview lasted for 20 minutes, which was short and simple.

      There are all 4 stages only and the events are carried out online. The virtual feature of the whole process was an eye opener for all students this year, at least for me. Hope u get the essential info that u wish to know and subscribe me for subsequent follow up!

      Delete
  7. Well max, how was the result?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't receive any notification yet. U do?

      Delete
    2. I've already received it on monday. Thankfully mine was successful. Any news from you?

      Delete
    3. sharis , can I get to talk with you ? I have some question to ask you as I have escured the scholarship. I appreciate it.

      Delete
    4. hi there @shahris @myschoolrobotic , may I know if I can email you regarding certain inquiries I have about the scholarship? As I'm interested to apply for it next year, and would love to know your overall experience of it, if it's okay :)

      Delete
    5. hi @shahris ! HAHA i know this sounds weird how I finally find this blogs to give me the idea how the Gamuda Scholarship stages will goes.. but do any of you mind to have a chat with me regarding this ? Im hoping for tips and advices for scholarship interviews. tqq

      Delete
  8. Don't worry guys, they'd normally release the status stage by stage. Not all names at once. Do not worry and stay positive alright. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, came by your blog when I googled it. Very insightful! I am just curious as to what was your application outcome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to enter the last stage but failed to secure it in the end.

      Delete
  10. hi! i just found your blog about the scholarship programme, and i would love if you can write something about the process from the 1st interview till the last stage. would help alot considering i just got an email to book a slot for interview next week. thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. hi there, the details on the stages were already listed above and I found it very helpful, thanks to max! Ive also booked the interview on Monday next week, when is yours?

      Delete
    3. I am glad that people curious about the stages after the 1st interview, I might need sometime to complete it. Do check out the blog regularly and thanks for the support!

      Delete
    4. hi syfqh, already done with my 1st interview afew days ago. it was okay i guess for me. she ask pretty much the same thing like max stated on his blog with a few minor changes. and thank you max btw! your blog really helped me. now im just waiting for the 2nd stage of interview.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. @syfqh Hi, actually I am applying for 2020 batch and unfortunately failed at the last stage. I wish you all the best for your preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hai max. you are the best for sharing this info. It really help me with the preparation. my interview on 30th june. kinda nervous because im not reallly good at speaking in english. i hate it. last but not least, god bless you 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it, I can't do anything but wish u all the best!

      Delete
    2. hii max! just came across your blog which i found really cool! Could you mind share how the last stage looks like tho? i mean is it about critical thinking or what? since you dont have to prepare anything

      Delete
    3. Hi,I would say the last stage will examine your sensitivity towards current issues. For me, they asked about how AI will affect the engineering field and how Gamuda can response to losses caused by Covid 19. It will be good if you read a lot and pay attention to these issues, all the best!

      Delete
    4. hi max, can u share with us about ur case study stage? is the topic related to the current issue as well? Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Hi Max, may I ask about the 2nd stage (the logical and personality test), is the ques something like the pictures & shapes or it is in sentence form? How about the duration of the test and how many ques in total? I am quite curious about it.
    Thank you in advance 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I not sure if you did Permata Pintar test during your high school, the ques are some sort like that. Also there will be some calculation problems, good luck!

      Delete
    2. Oh I see, will the calculation problems involved formulas or it is just some simple IQ maths questions?

      Thank you so much, Max

      Delete
  14. hello max:) how long for the 2nd stage will be annouced. I had done my first stage interview last wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me is 2 weeks after the interview, but thing may change so I can't guarantee it.

      Delete
  15. Hi, does anyone of you here applied to IJM scholarship ? Cos wasn't sure if they have announced the shortlisted candidates for first stage , anyone ? I havent received any notifications yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello. if im not mistaken, the dateline for IJM scholarship has been extended to 7 July. so maybe after 7 July, they'll announce the shortlisted

      Delete
  16. Hi max, thanks for sharing. I have completed my first stage and shortlisted for stage 2. Would you mind to create a new post dedicated for the following stages on tips and detailed for preparation. It was truly helpful and thanks for your hard work. Wish you all the best in your journey of studies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, is anyone here done your stage 2. I feel so hard and didnt get enough time to finish the questions. T-T

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have been shortlisted for stage 2 .. but i dont answer them yet , may i know how many ques that we need to answer ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did anyone from here received the email after finishing the stage 2 for 2021 application?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup i just received mine this morning. you could probably check yours as they have just sent it out

      Delete
    2. Which date did you guys choose for the case study?

      Delete
    3. if im not mistaken 9-12pm on the 28th July. the first slot

      Delete
    4. i took 30th July, morning session

      Delete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hai, could you share with us preparation tips for stage 3 which is grouping case studies?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, regarding the grouping case studies, do we need to check out for the current issues ongoing around malaysia? Or is it a simple case study about the common conditions as in office ya?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will probably related to the current issue.... Good luck to all of us !

      Delete
  24. Hello guys. I was qualified for the third level which was the case study assessments. Sadly, due to my health condition I could not join the briefing session which was held today. Can anyone here brief me about what they have discussed in that session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi , they just briefed about how to skype and its interface . so if you are new to skype then please make sure on how the basic user interface works . Other than that , they told to check that did we all received 2 separate invitation for case study ( some did not have ( they told to inform them ) , some already had ( if thats the case then fine , just check your email ) , thats all. Hope it helps you , good luck!

      Delete
  25. Hi, have anyone here gone through any scholarship stage where you'll have an essay writing test?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Max great blog here very insightful. Did you done any preparation for case study?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment